|United announces changes to 2015 MileagePlus program
Today United announced it is making changes to the MileagePlus program in 2015. Members will earn award miles based on their ticket price rather than distance flown.
United announces changes to 2015 MileagePlus program
- Starting March 1, 2015, the award miles earned on most tickets for United and United Express flights will be based on ticket price, that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges and MileagePlus status, instead of the distance traveled.
- Starting in early 2015 all MileagePlus members will be offered opportunities to use their award miles to purchase United Economy Plus seats, and to purchase subscriptions for Economy Plus and checked-baggage.
- Members will still earn Premier qualifying miles (PQM) based on the distance flown and this change does not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status.
- This program update will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide.
The award miles members earn on most tickets for United and United Express flights will be based on ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges). Members with MileagePlus® Premier® status will earn even more miles.
(at the time of flight,
on or after March 1, 2015)
|Award miles per U.S. dollar spent
and Global ServicesSM
The new earning structure will apply to most tickets for travel on United and United Express flights, and most United-issued tickets on airline partners with ticket numbers beginning with "016." Members may earn up to 75,000 award miles per ticket.
Additional program details
MileagePlus members currently earn award miles on United, United Express or United’s airline partners based on distance, fare class and MileagePlus Premier status. Some airline partners will continue to offer miles based on distance, fare class and MileagePlus Premier status, even after the MileagePlus program changes March 1, 2105.
There are no changes to the way members earn miles on a MileagePlus cobranded credit card: For example, United MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers will earn two miles for each $1 spent on tickets purchased from United, in addition to the miles earned for the flight.
- Miles are earned based on MileagePlus status at time of departure, not time of purchase.
- Tickets operated by a Star Alliance™ or MileagePlus partner airline that are not ticketed by United (ticket numbers that do not start with "016") will continue to earn award miles based on distance flown and the purchased fare class.
- Members will continue to earn Premier® qualifying miles (PQM) based on the distance of the flight. Premier members will continue to earn a minimum of 500 PQM on United and United Express flights shorter than 500 miles.
- Award miles are not earned for payment toward United travel products (such as Economy Plus seating or upgrades) or fees (such as checked baggage fees, MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays and change fees).
- Purchases in a currency other than U.S. dollars will be converted to U.S. dollars.
Specialty tickets that earn award miles in the current program (including, but not limited to consolidator/bulk, group, tour and other tickets where the fare paid is not disclosed on the ticket) will earn award miles based on a percentage of the distance flown and the purchased fare class as of March 1, 2015. Please refer to the chart below for details.
|Eligible fare classes
||Flight operated by United and
|J, C, D, Z, P, F, A
|Y, B, M
|E, U, H, Q,V,W
|S, T, L,K, G, N
More information and frequently asked questions can be found at mileageplusupdates.com.