John and I were in Patagonia earlier this month, as part of a fabulous vacation through Chile and Argentina. After 2 very busy weeks exploring Chile (Valparaiso & Puerto Natales’ Torres del Paine at The Singular in southern Patagonia) and Argentina (El Calafate’s Eolo) we spent our last night, after 4 days in Buenos Aires, here at Estancia La Bamba de Areco. This 11 room Relais & Chateau lodge is about a 2 hour drive west of town in the middle the pampa.
So yes, it’s worth the BA traffic and 10 minutes on a bumpy dusty road to get here, and we only stayed about 26 hours. I’d probably recommend 2 nights, or longer if you want to really chill. But even our 1 night was well worth it. And you can helicopter in/out if you prefer.
- Like many of the other hotels we stayed at on this trip, the serenity is golden. No incredible sweeping views here*, except of the peaceful ranch setting.
- The hotel’s various buildings were meticulously enhanced by great interior design, but the buildings themselves are quite old, not that you’d know it.
- The old buildings, I was told, account for the fairly small rooms, but they’re so nice, very comfortable and airy. Natural light is abundant. And the bathrooms, with their heated floors are huge.
- All food & wine is included and it’s wonderful as you might expect from a Relais & Chateau property. Lunch is the ‘bomb’ with a BBQ featuring endless steak, sausage, phenomenal roasted potatoes, and I can’t remember what else but it was worth staying here just for this. Dinner was also delicious, if not more low key.
- And interestingly because the place is so small all dining is communal – a great way to meet your fellow travelers, which is unique and cool. The BBQ lunch was served at a big outdoor table, while dinner was at a cozy table in their elegant dining room.
- Wander around the stables where the polo horses hang out between matches and practice. It’s very peaceful. And then take a ride on one of their other horses. I understand the owner of the hotel is a French polo player and entrepreneur.
- And they have a horse whisperer. That’s the after lunch surprise. Very interesting.
* well there was one, the horse back ride through the fields was really nice and you can see forever since there are no hills.
Learn more about the hotel, our complimentary breakfast and upgrade program.
More photos of my trip are here on Flickr.
f o r m o r e i n f o r m a t i o n & t o b o o k
josh friedman luxury travel
in san francisco
415.987.0372 | joshfriedmantravel.com
an independent affiliate of travel experts | a virtuoso agency
Sign up for our interesting but infrequent emails
facebook twitter flickr you tube
four seasons preferred partner
Josh Friedman is an old-fashioned travel agent offering highly personalized 24/7 service. Specialties include high-end and bespoke luxury travel for small groups and individuals. His areas of expertise include ultra-luxury cruises, customized vacations & luxury hotel stays. He also plans spectacular honeymoons, anniversary and birthday celebrations and completes trips that clients have started and just can’t quite figure out how to finish.
His relationships built over twenty years with the world’s top hotels, cruise lines and local agencies will ensure your successful vacation. As a client you get exclusive and complimentary perks that you can’t get on your own — from VIP introduction to the hotel’s management to upgrades, scrumptious breakfasts and hotel spending credits.
Call Josh for details, the ultimate in service & exclusive luxury hotel amenities with Virtuoso.
4083 24th street, #460250, san francisco, ca 94114 cst# 2080753-40